Friday 28 September 2012

Supernatural South India


            This next blog post includes a little bit of the supernatural as my title suggests; or at the very least some unexplained mysteries.  At first I was hesitant to include this simply because I'm not entirely sure what's been going on in my apartment on campus as of late but since this is a blog about my adventures in India I figured to exclude it would be a shame.  Also since I can't seem to form a solid opinion on what's going on perhaps an outside perspective might solve some of these "mysteries".

 

              You might be wondering what in the world I'm going on about right now and I don't blame you.  My own unwillingness in assigning a word to what has been going on is merely due to the fact that it's hard to judge what you're experiencing when you live alone and have no one else to bounce ideas off of.  The issue I'm skirting around is the ghost that I may or may not be sharing my room with. 

               Now before I go into the 4 episodes that have currently happened (all from around July of this year onwards) I feel I should explain my position on ghosts and the supernatural.  Those of you that know most likely know of my penchant for watching shows about haunted houses or might even remember the time I tried to round up willing volunteers to go down with me to Kentucky to explore the supposedly haunted rundown Waverly Sanatorium.  Although my curiosity in these matters all stems from the fact that I have never experienced any ghostly activity myself and have always been curios as to how I would react in the face of an unseen guest.  But more to the point, I don't find it hard to believe that ghosts exist.  Considering the many traumatic deaths that have happened all over the world throughout history to me it seems naive to think that there wouldn't be some dissatisfied souls wandering about. 

               However, I'm not sure if that's what I've got on my hands or not.  Like I said, living alone has made it hard for me to make a final verdict either way; but I am fairly certain after the 4th encounter that this isn't something I'm making up in my head. 

               Without further adieu, I present to you the four odd cases that have occurred in my room for which I cannot find any rational explanation.

              

Case #1:

               I think this was sometime mid-July, it was night-time and I was sitting on my bed facing the open doors to the living room and past that the kitchen.  The only light on was in my bedroom but I had a clear look into the other rooms.  As I was on my computer I looked up to notice that there was some kind of white object hanging in the kitchen, but the moment I saw it I realized it was moving straight for me.  Now in the short amount of time it took for this white "ball" to come at me I remember thinking I wonder if it's a moth or something.  Having been in India for a year now I'm well accustomed to the bugs around here, especially the ones that frequent my room but this was not something I had seen before.  The strange thing about it was that when I saw it all the way back in the kitchen it definitely had some mass to it, despite there being no lights on I could clearly see it from two rooms away, and unlike bugs that fly around pretty erratically this object shot straight from the kitchen like an arrow headed right for me. 

                And even as it comes right for my face it doesn't change trajectory, before I can even move out of the way I see it right next to my eye and feel something soft hit my hair right above my ear.  I remember thinking, damn I've got a bug caught in my hair, although that didn't make sense as I didn't hear any buzzing or wings flapping and despite a frantic search for whatever it was there was absolutely nothing caught in my hair.  Also there was nothing flying around in my room, nothing lying on the ground around my bed where it hit me, no matter where I looked in my small bedroom this white ball was gone as soon as it showed up.  Now you might be thinking something like that could have easily escaped or flown off without my knowledge, but if I'd been able to see it distinctly from two rooms away in the dark you would think I could spot it in my well lit bedroom up close.  Not to mention there was no buzzing sound, nothing.

               I couldn't figure out what it was and I have not seen anything like that before then or afterwards.  And the strange thing was I felt oddly calm about it, when whatever had bumped into my head it was a strange feeling.  I felt a depression in my hair but nothing after that and I remember thinking that it simply felt like someone was trying to get my attention.  A little friendly pat like, 'hey buddy why aren't you paying attention to me?' 

               And that was case #1.

 

Case #2:

               This was maybe a few weeks after the first incident.  I had long since written off what had happened, figuring it was some kind of fluke or perhaps I somehow made it up.  Mostly I just forgot about it, out of mind out of sight. 

               I had brought home a bag of mangoes I bought off the street and placed them on top of my refrigerator, it's pulled far enough away from the walls that no bugs or little rodents can get into open containers so I tend to put sweet items there. 

               Later that day I was again sitting on my bed listening to music with my headphones on.  I can't hear a damn thing going on in the outside world when I wear these so any noises would have gone by unnoticed.  As I was about to get up from my computer I pulled out an earbud and as soon as I did I heard rustling coming from my living room.  I could hear something rummaging around in a plastic bag and it was so loud that I was convinced a rat had somehow gotten into the mangoes I bought that day.  Not only was it loud but it was a constant rustling, it sounded like something wrestling around in a plastic bag. 

               I was not eager to deal with a rat, I had in fact long since worried about this day.  Not that I mind rats, they are preferable to cockroaches any day of the week, but I was never sure how I would get it out of the room without squashing it and getting rat guts everywhere.  While I pondered what to do and looked around for a heavy enough shoe to take with me, the rustling got louder until I distinctly heard a rapid, thud thud thud.  I knew right away what must have happened, the mangoes rolled off the refrigerator taking the plastic bag with them. 

               I readied myself to go into the room fully expecting to find a large, tooth rat, big enough to rival those in NYC.  And what did I find?  Absolutely nothing.  No rat, no plastic bag, nothing on the floor, and the mangoes still sitting pretty right on top of the refrigerator right where I left them.  Despite scouring the small living space there was not only nothing on the ground, there were no other plastic bags save for the one that was sitting on the refrigerator.  And no rat.  Absolutely no explanation for what I heard, nor why everything seemed to happen the second after I took my headphones out, the only time I would be able to hear all this commotion.   

               Though this might seem innocuous enough I couldn't help but be bothered by this; probably because I was mustering up all this strength to go in there and chase a rat only to find everything sitting in perfect order with nothing amiss.  It was incredibly frustrating and felt like someone was playing games with me.

 

Case #3 -

This next one is even more of a mystery to me.  Skip a few more weeks ahead after the mango incident, I was sitting on my bed most likely scouring facebook with my back to the door.  Next to said door is a dresser that I've ended up dumping all kinds of miscellaneous items on top of (a bad habit I have) and one of these was an old foundation bottle I had. 

               I don't remember when I left it there or how it got there but it was just one of those random items that floats around your room until it eventually meets the trashcan.  Anyways, as I said my back was facing that direction so I was unable to see what happened next.  Spread out on some pillows with nothing moving around the room, I all of a sudden heard something hit the ground behind my head and bounce once or twice before coming to a stop.  I look over and that foundation bottle that had been sitting on top of my drawer was now lying in the middle of the ground at least a good  2 feet away from the drawer.  My reaction was just to look at it in pure confusion, I mean how in the hell did that just get to the middle of the room on its own (I knew it hadn't bounced from the bottom of the drawer because I heard it hit the ground right behind my head which was parallel to the middle of the room)?  I thought perhaps it might have been teetering on the edge and finally fell down.  But that didn't make any sense as most of my drawers were slightly pulled out (another bad habit of mine) and if it had merely slipped off the edge it would have landed inside one of them.  Just in case that was what happened I tried to reenact it only to find that even when dangling precariously on the edge it still needed a nudge to fall down and even then it barely made it a few inches away from the drawer. 

               That container hadn't bounced before it hit the middle of the floor, I heard that distinctly because my eyes immediately went to where they heard the first noise which was nowhere near the drawer.  Basically, there was no way it could have gone flying off like that unless someone gave it a good, firm push.  Despite this I still wasn't nervous or scared so much as stumped as to what was going on.  It had been a perfectly normal boring evening and then out of the blue that thing went flying.  The only thing that was somewhat unsettling was that so far everything had been going on in the other rooms, now it seemed my bedroom was starting to have it's own curious episodes.

 

Case #4 -

               Now for the latest case and according to the few I've mentioned this to the most unnerving.  This one is harder to describe simply because the timing of it has gotten muddled around in my head.  But again it started with another boring night, spent with me watching T.V. online and about to take a shower.  I had been procrastinating said shower so I was sitting on the bed for a good hour or so.  Deciding to finally face the inevitable and muster up the courage for an ice cold bucket shower I  felt something on the right side of my body; I can't remember the exact feeling but just that I noticed something felt different.  There were two spots on my right leg that felt peculiar and on my upper body but I'm used to random twinges and aches like this so it didn't leave much of an impression on me.  I got to the bathroom, poured some water over myself and noticed a burning feeling on the right side of my body.  I look down and notice on my right calf three scratches right next to each other, then on my upper thigh three more identical scratches, keep looking up and the same three scratches on my right side and on my upper right arm.  As I'm typing this I'm sure there are those reading that will think, 'holy crap I would freak out!'  But for some reason, either because it just seemed ridiculous to think that someone scratched me or something else, I wasn't really that freaked out by it.  Despite the bright red scratches that were left, they didn't really hurt just burned.  Soon after, maybe like 10 minutes later, the scratches were completely gone.  Not a trace that they had ever been there.   

               Now I have had eczema since I was a little kid and I'm no stranger to scratches.  But this was not the same, to give myself red scratches like that I would have had to dig my fingernails in pretty deep and pretty deliberately.  Whenever I scratch an itch it simply leaves behind all these small white lines, you know when your skin is a bit ashy, but the scratches are so harried and scattered it just looks like a mess.  In no way is it typical to leave three scratches like that.  Also I don't see how I could have done it to myself without noticing, especially in 4 different places on the same side of my body.  They weren't there before I got in my room and they certainly weren't there the hour before I sat on my bed.  I wasn't walking by anything, and there was nothing on my bed that could have given me those scratches. 

               I'm not saying someone or something gave me them, I'm just saying I have no explanation for how they got there or why they would disappear so quickly afterwards.  A scratch like that should stay for a while, I know because when I was younger and my brother and I would get into fights all I could do was dig my fingernails into his skin.  And trust me, those marks don't go away easily.  But I do know this, they don't make me any more nervous than I was before. 

               Despite everything I still don't feel threatened when I'm in my room and I think that's the most important part.  The one current theme running throughout each strange event is the vague sense that someone is trying to get my attention.  Not in an other-worldly way but it's the same when you think you hear someone calling your name and you turn around to see a friend waving at you.  That's the feeling I keep getting from these events. 

2 comments:

  1. As usual, I HAVE MANY THOUGHTS ABOUT THIS. However, it's super late here and I'm procrastinating on my own ice-cold bucket shower, so these may be incoherent, but:

    My apartment last year was apparently haunted, if that makes you feel better. I never saw anything or had anything happen to me, but apparently fellows in the past have seen things and I have friends who'd come over and say they definitely felt a presence. I was never much bothered.

    This strikes me as a bit odd, because I'm pretty quick to believe (or at least not disbelieve) ghost stories in Asia. I've come to the conclusion that this sort of suspension of disbelief is largely because I figure I have no basis to disbelieve things. People here tell me all the time about spirits that live in that tree or feeling things or whatever and I tend to just nod and go along with it despite the fact that I have never once in my life felt anything supernatural.

    I'm not sure what my point here is. Too late at night. However, I'm glad this stuff is happening to you and not me and I'm glad you don't feel unsafe.

    Now, shower time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so interesting! I remember seeing a few Indonesian movies that had a ghost-theme going on. When I first got here some of the girls said there were ghosts at LDC but I kind of figured it was one of those urban myths. I'm sure every college has that kind of story.

    I would say I'm more likely to believe someone if they had some kind of experience but then again this has never happened to me before so it's hard to say. I just know I'm not making this craziness up but also have no explanation for it.....but yeah I don't feel threatened.

    I was curious too if any fellows had experienced something, I can't believe that your apartment was haunted (or supposedly haunted). What kind of things did they see?

    ReplyDelete