Wednesday 11 May 2016

Long Time No See A.K.A. Jazmin Sucks At Blogs A.K.A Let's Revive This B****


                2 years later…..what has Jazmin realized?  She’s trash at keeping a blog.  To be fair I meant for this thing to die and to never return to it as is my style when it comes to diaries (and a blog usually is just that).  Then I went and got an idea and started writing.  If I could I would delete everything that came before this and start fresh but a) that sounds complicated and b) I don’t really care all that much.  So let’s just pretend this blog starts from here.  The biggest difference you might find is that unlike before where I was writing for the sake of explaining my life abroad to people back home, now I’m only writing what I want.  Sometimes it will be about life in Japan (as this one is) and other times it will be solely creative with perhaps a smattering of Japan here and there. 
                But expect photos.  Lots of photos.
Anyway without further ado, the long-anticipated and sorely missed –
                Oh who am I kidding this thing was more dead than a horse at a glue factory.  Screw intros let's just get down to it.  

  

Torn Between Two Worlds
And Other Golden Week Musings

                Life, for me right now, has turned into a tug of war between city life and country life.  Each one is easily accessible, though with my apartment firmly rooted in the country side, it seems the scales have been tipped.  Like most millennials my age, I’m predisposed to believe my place belongs in the city.  That’s where the jobs are, where other young people such as myself are, that’s where the goals I’m meant to aim for are lest I be shut out from the rat race forever.  But if I’m being honest, I’d rather stay in my shaky apartment with the sink missing a drain pipe. 

                This wasn’t a revelation I felt impelled to share until the rainy season hit Japan and I realized just how much of the country’s kool-aid I’ve ingested.

When it rains in the city everything takes on a dull tone; the sky is gray, the buildings are gray, the streets are gray.  The water turns the city’s ever present thin layer of grime and dirt into a slick muck that sticks to your shoes and tracks behind you wherever you go.  Your movements down the street are hindered by the fact that you have joined a horde of umbrellas, each person huddled underneath a beetle-like shell so that you are forced to move as one giant cockroach down the wet pavement.   

                When it rains in the country?  Magic.  The mountains are swathed in gossamer layers of fog that turn the usual flat plane of green into vibrant expanse that block out the sky.  Puddles fill the concave pockets of land sending up a fresh scent of earth that lends to visions of shadowy creatures prowling in a dense forest.  If you are bold enough to step outside you are greeted with a soothing rhythmic pattern of raindrops hitting the soil broken only by the faraway screech of a Black Kite.  The rest of the world seems to have melted back into their homes and for a moment you can imagine yourself a lone alien discovering a new dangerous planet.



                You’re never really granted such a moment of privacy in the city and I suppose if solitary reflection is what you seek then it should be expected you would never find a home in one.

                I think the reason I expected my older self to become enamored with city life is because I coddled the belief that there would be no end to the novelties it provided.  Isn’t that what a city is?  Constantly giving birth to new ideas, new fashion, new gadgets to employ in daily life, new faces, etc.  It’s supposed to be a dizzying experience that pushes you to innovative extremes. 

                Dizzying is indeed the right word for how I felt throughout my last bout to Tokyo this past Golden Week.  It wasn’t because the language was foreign or because the train lines were nigh impossible to detangle from one another on the map.  Finding my way around wasn’t the problem.
    
                It was the dawdling crowds that simultaneously never seemed to move fast enough yet 
always remained one step ahead of me.  It was the mindless crosswalk in Shibuya that demands air time whenever Japan is mentioned.  It was the fact that no matter where you looked the scenery was the same bric-a-brac of tired old buildings pressed together between massive new high rises pushing either the newest idol or the latest way to blow your hard-earned money.  I couldn’t fathom how anyone would voluntarily put themselves into such a system and to do it with such wholehearted enthusiasm to boot. 

                Upon returning to my crumbling apartment in what is colloquially referred to as the inaka, a weight was lifted off my chest that probably had more to do finishing the last leg of a long journey home.  Almost immediately I was met with a particular obstacle that came from living in a rural area with mountains surrounding me.  A mid-size Huntsman spider had taken up refuge in the corner of my bedroom, its crab like body pressed tight against the wall while long legs spindled outwards. 

                I was more exasperated than scared upon discovering it because all I wanted to do was watch the new Game of Thrones episode and fall asleep, not give chase to this wily spider intent on leaping into my underwear drawer.  The exasperation also came from knowing that this considerably small fellow was only the first of many and with the arrival of every summer came the strong possibility of waking to find the peculiar sensation of 8 hairy legs tiptoeing down my arm. 



                Because that’s what summer in the countryside means.  It’s wearing slippers when you traverse the dark hallway of your apartment to the toilet at night or risk being stung by a poisonous centipede.  It’s looking at your walls before going to sleep just to be sure no Huntsmans are prowling about.  Summer means you are now sharing your home with assorted insects quietly invading your home and taking up nest before winter comes. 

                I can’t say it’s easy but the frustration and anxiety over catching a spider the size of a toddler’s head passes far quicker than the exhaustion of being pinballed around a crowded train station.  And what it is, at the end of the day, is the price tag for enjoying the natural world.  Everything comes at a price, even the city.  Especially the city.   I’m just not willing to pay that price, not if the prize means miles and miles of concrete. 



                That realization was cemented down for me during my Golden Week trip.  I only brought out my camera a grand total of three times.  First, at a one-car tunnel high up in the mountains outside of Toyota City, second, while stuck in traffic with the barest glimpse of Mt. Fuji over the guardrails, and third, for a brief second in a subway station waiting for the train to arrive.  I could have taken more photos in Tokyo and I would be lying if I said I didn’t see a few opportunities.  But taking photos of unsuspecting victims felt awkward at best and invasive at worst.  And if you aren’t willing to take photos of strangers all you’re left with is the same cityscape repeating forever like a bad holodeck.

                The tunnel though?  It was a no-brainer.  Moss had overtaken the traffic signs nearby, growing up the pole of the speed indicator.  The name of the tunnel was etched deeply into old stone and the other side winked back, a far away cutout of sunlight that gave the impression of being on the wrong side of a kaleidoscope.  When you stood at the mouth, a constant gust of wind pressed against you bringing with it an intoxicating smell of old soil, damp and untouched by outsiders.  The little sunlight that cut into the tunnel showed amateur scribbles of graffiti - taunting messages left behind that told bold tales of Asuke’s youth and their bravery at traversing a supposedly haunted tunnel. 



When you reach the center your eyes began to play tricks on you.  Not because of any malicious spirits but because all you can see is one tiny circle of light that at times looks so close you’re nearly outside and at others stretches so far ahead you think you’ll never get out.  The constant fluctuation in width doesn’t help, a slight change only noticeable in the acoustics and the shift in the air.  Meanwhile the walls beside you have melted into the darkness and you might as well be at the bottom of the Mariana Trench for all you can see.   

                Upon arrival on the other side there is a strong sense of relief quickly followed by the sinking realization the only way home is back through the darkness.  But for those few moments you are granted a new view – sunlight streaming in through a thick bamboo forest flanked by two large humps of rolling mountainside, turning the tunnel into such a small thing you almost think it impossible a car could fit.   



                What sticks with you the most, though, are the stories that each little bit tells.  There’s the crass language strewn throughout the tunnel visible by the headlights of your car that boast of Asuke’s toughest gang (though what competition they have other than errant wild boar I’m not sure), the smashed lamp above the tunnel’s entrance that might never be replaced but instead will remain a part of this shrine to defunct man-made creations, and of course the forest which entombs all of it, lending to visions of ancient woods that pay no mind to the humanity toiling below. 

                It’s unfair to compare such an experience to a city and I’m aware.  It’s like asking for shrimp when you really want a pork chop.  I guess this is really all to say I finally realize what I have wanted all along was a pork chop – a wild untamed terrain that houses all kinds of beautiful and terrifying creatures you wonder how humans ever could have ended up the so-called owner of this planet.

                I’m sure this isn’t the last word on the matter.  Opinions change constantly but that’s what’s great about having an opinion – it’s active and living and thus subject to death just like everything else that’s alive.  So for now when people lament how hard it must be to live an hour and a half away from the city I’ll smile and nod wordlessly.  I’ll simply let my photos do the talking for me.    

                And if that doesn’t work, I’ll just jump in my car and head over to Kumamoto City to flaunt tattoos and swill down noon beers with Kashima’s finest. 



2 comments: